Liverpool have written to Luton to ask what they plan to do about the tragedy chants heard during their clash on Sunday, it has been reported.
The Hatters almost snatched all three points against the Reds at Kenilworth Road as ex-Manchester United starlet Tahith Chong put the home side 1-0 up in the 80th minute.
A dream win against the Reds was cancelled out by the returning Luis Diaz in the fifth minute of stoppage time, though, with the Colombian making his first appearance since his parents’ kidnapping. Diaz’s father remains missing, however, his mother was rescued.
Now, though, attention has turned firmly away from the drama of the closing stages of the eventual 1-1 draw.
A section of Luton’s supporters have been accused of directing tragedy chants at Liverpool, referencing the Hillsborough disaster, the tragedy that led to the death of 97 fans.
So far, neither club have released a statement on the incident.
However, Liverpool have written to Sunday’s opponents to ask how they plan to do about the tragedy chanting, according to Sky Sports News Editor Lyall Thomas.
The report also states Liverpool offered the same guidance they’ve been giving to other fans groups on the issue for some time.
The FA also released a statement on the incident on Monday.
It read: “We are aware of the tragedy chanting during yesterday’s Premier League fixture between Luton Town and Liverpool, and we are seeking observations from Luton Town and further detail from the Police.
“We strongly condemn chanting of this nature and will continue to work closely with our stakeholders across the game, including the clubs, leagues, fan groups, and the relevant authorities to proactively address the issue.”
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp also condemned the chants.
“Shame on everyone who said it [tragedy chants],” he said after the game.